Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Cats Work Hard for a Living




Cats have a bad reputation. I don't know why. I can't 
count the number of conversations I've had with people
who say cats aren't affectionate, they don't care if you
pay attention to them or not because they want to be left
alone, they ignore you, they're aloof, they're
independent and don't need a lot of care, they're lazy, etc . . .
And I always think, "Wow. They've never met the cats 
in my life."

I love animals, all animals, but I am a certified cat person.
I think they're beautiful and amazing. They are also, so not
like what was described above. The cats I have known and
loved in my life have always been affectionate and loving.
Some in their own way, but the meaning was always clear,
noted, and reciprocated. 

Cats, also in my experience, do care if you pay attention
to them. Like any other being, they expect and deserve to
be paid attention to. Sure, they don't want that attention
constantly, but who does? Sometimes we just want to
take a nap in a sunny spot and feel how wonderful that
is in the moment. Quietly, peacefully, and alone. I mean,
they do.

I don't think cats ignore anything-to me they seem
to be hyper-aware of everything. They just don't react
to everything. And they can be still. Still. Right before
they explode into action. 

Cats are independent, it's true. They are also loyal and
protective of others. I can't walk outside by myself
without my male cat tagging along, running a bit ahead 
and looking around, stopping right in front of me,
looking around some more, etc. Sure, I could fall
over him and break my neck several times when we walk, 
but I know why he's there and I appreciate it.
If there's another cat in the area, he growls and
runs it off and comes back. He comes back in the
house when I come back in. 

That's just the beginning of my love letter to cats.
Daily cartoon #4. 

No comments:

Post a Comment